1. Can any employees really claim a tax refund?

Yes, you can. You are allowed to claim allowances for certain expenses when doing your job. If you make a valid claim, and you haven’t claimed yet, then you will have paid too much tax, and can claim a refund of any tax you have overpaid.


2.How much will I get?

Typical tax refunds are worth around £100 - £300, but larger tax refunds are also common; many people get tax refunds worth £hundreds, or £thousands. However, the size of your tax refund depends on what tax you have paid during the last 4 -5 tax years, including this year, and how big your claim for expenses is. But even if you only claim £100 per year for four years, you will get a tax refund of £80 cash if you pay tax at 20%, or £160 cash back (40% tax), or more.


3.Are tax allowances guaranteed?

Yes. There are two types of allowances that can be guaranteed

1) Fixed Rate Expenses for certain professions, and jobs, if you have spent even £1, and

2) Any expense that you can justify as, “wholly, necessarily, and exclusively” incurred in doing your job.

You can get more useful information from our book, "How to get a tax refund and pay les tax in future: an employees guide to tax allowances hidden in plain view" - click here to see the book at Amazon


4.What does the Quickclaim App do?

The App can do THREE things for you

1. It will work out, FREE of charge, the approximate value of tax you may have overpaid because of allowances you haven’t claimed

2. For a nominal sum, it can, instantly prepare your “tax refund claim”, if your claim is not too complex, for you to print, sign, and send to HMRC

3. It will show you where you can go to get more help, for example if you want to know more, or if your claim is likely to me more complicated


5. What do I need to do?

The App can do THREE things for you

1. Make a list of the stuff you’ve paid for – you can use the lists in our book, or our Quickclaim App to help you discover what is relevant, then

2. Make a claim to HMRC – you can use the templates and examples in our book, or our automated Quickclaim App to help you make an instant, written claim.

Remember, the information you provide must be truthful, and accurate.


6.What can I claim for?

Many people claim for things like cleaning and maintaining clothing or tools, or travelling expenses, or use of home, or subscriptions to Unions or professional bodies. You can find a complete list and explanations in our book.


7.What can Quickclaim help me claim for?

With just a few clicks, our automated, on-line, “Quickclaim” claim writing service can help you make a claim for uniform & clothing allowances, tools, fees, Gift aid, Pensions, and use of home if you are a midwife.


8. When can I claim?

You can claim anytime, but there is a time limit as to how far back you can go, so claim quickly so you don’t miss out.


10.How can I claim my tax refund?

If you don’t have to fill in a SAR tax return, the best way is to make a claim in writing – our book, and Quickclaim App can help you here. You can also make a claim by telephone or using form P87 – buy our book for access to free electronic templates, forms, and examples to help you.


11.Does that mean that the PAYE I pay is wrong?

Payroll & PAYE is designed by the Government to help your employer collect tax from you. It is not designed to easily give you tax allowances for expenses you pay. To get these tax allowances, you have to make a separate claim, and navigate difficult rules.


12.Can you recommend a book I can read to find out more?

Yes. We have written a self-help training book for employees that presents all the complex, jargon-full, tax rules and regulations in an easy-to-read form. You can buy it at Amazon, it’s called, “How to get a tax refund and pay les tax in future: an employees guide to tax allowances hidden in plain view” ; it tell you what you can do, what you can’t do, and if in doubt, how to work it out. Click here to buy it from Amazon.

Alternatively, you can use our Quickclaim App, with its free diagnostic tool, and inexpensive tax refund claim service – subject to Terms and Conditions.


13.What information do I need?

To make an effective claim using Quickclaim, you will need

1. Your National Insurance Number,

2. Your employer’s name,

3. Your employer’s PAYE reference - ideally, and off course

4. A record of the things you have spent money on.


14.How can I make sure that my claim is successful?

Read the instructions and notes carefully then fill in the questions as honestly as you can. Remember to have copies of receipts and evidence about the expenses you are claiming.


15.Will HMRC say “no”

No, if you have a valid claim they will say yes, but they may ask you to prove that you did spend the money, and ask for evidence that the expenses you are claiming are job related. For help, check our website at www.accountingwisdom.com, and email questions to us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


16.Are there any tools or apps to help me keep records?

Yes. Read our helpful articles at www.accountingwisdom.com, and buy our employee tax refund book from Amazon. Click here


17.What is a NINo?

NINo is short for National Insurance Number. According to HMRC, it "is your own personal account number. It is unique to you and you keep the same one all your life. It makes sure that the National Insurance contributions and tax you pay are properly recorded against your name. It also acts as a reference number when communicating with the Department for Work and Pensions and HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC)."


18.What does a NINo look like?

It is a 9 character number in the format; Letter; Letter; Number; Number; Number; Number; Number; Number; Letter.

For example AB123456C


19.Where can I find my National Insurance Number?

You can find out your NINo from your P60, your P45, by asking your employer, or by asking HMRC using the form at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/ca5403form.htm, or by calling the National Insurance Registrations Helpline on 0300 200 3502 *"

Information correct in March 2014


20.What is a P60, or a P45?

Your employer will issue you with a form P60 at the end of each tax year, between May and June. It contains a summary for the tax year just ended, of your earnings, the Income Tax you paid, and a few other things. You can ask your employer for a copy if you have mislaid your previous P60. A P45 is a green form that is issued only when you leave an employer. It also contains a summary of your earnings, the Income Tax you paid, and a few other things for the tax year up to the point you left your employer.


21. Where can I find my employer’s PAYE Reference number?

You can find this on any tax documents issued by your employer, for example the P60, or a P9D, or P11D. If in doubt, ask your employer.


Quickclaim is produced by the ACCA authorized firm of accountants A Star Accounting Services Ltd